Thursday 16 September 2010

The Empty Quarter


Fashion - the story of a lifetime

So my first arty event was tonight at the vernissage for Fashion - the story of a lifetime at The Empty Quarter in Dubai's elegant DIFC. My local pal SS showed me around and introduced me to lots of fabulous people who I am looking forward to getting to know. The gallery space itself is really special, with partition walls throughout that hang from the ceiling - allowing such a versatile space. I am already looking forward to their next exhibition so that I can see these walls in action - I wonder what shape the room will take? For 'Fashion' the gallery was split into smaller galleries, each space displaying a different photographer and their work. I have always loved fashion photography, but tonight i saw some really beautiful work I hadn't come across before - such as the work of Parveen Shaath and Melvin Sokolosky. I loved the mixture of photographers brought together to make a show as a tribute to fashion. The crowd reflected this mix with a wonderful grouping of people from all over the world, in true Dubai style.

After the view I headed over to Zuma (my first experience of the Dubai venue) which was packed with people but a lot of fun - then headed home to J1.

The exhibition runs until october 17th - I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment